Recent Forbes article on how Cool Brisbane is: Brisbane Was Once A Backwater Town. Now, It’s Australia’s Coolest City
Update, a great page from Visit Brisbane: Tick off all 93 things to do on Brisbane’s bucket list
- Always carry some water, easy to get dehydrated.
- In the wet season it can rain suddenly and heavily
- Always check the weather.
- If doing outdoor activities let someone know what you are doing.
- So many amazing bush walks of all distances and difficulties within 2 hours drive
- Many local mountains with villages on top
- Mount Tambourine is very interesting
- Most of the mountains have bush walks, waterfalls, food, accomodation
- Natural Bridge is very special
- Springbrook is unique
- Lamington National Park
- Mount Coot-tha
- Mount Coot-tha Botanic Gardens
- The Islands! Moreton and Stradbroke islands are off the coast of Brisbane, Bribie and Fraser are North (a full day or overnight trip required)
- Tangalooma Resort on Moreton has a dolphin experience.
- Within 1-2 hours drive, the best beaches in the world.
- Inner city beach at Southbank.
- Brisbane has a bike hire system
- Great cycle/walks/runs, there are many bridges over the river so you can do circuits of just about any distance you like.
Culture, Arts and Science
- GOMA – Gallery of Modern Art, Southbank, 1-4 hours (frequently changing exhibitions)
- Queensland Art Gallery, Southbank, 1-4 hours
- Queensland Muesum, Southbank, 1-4 hours
- Frequently big concerts are in Brisbane, tickets at the last minute might be a problem.
- At Queensland Performing Arts Complex (QPAC), there is always something on, Chicago, A Christmas Carol, The Wiz, Qld Symphony Orchestra that weekend.
- Queensland Theatre Company is excellent, almost always something on.
General and Shopping
- Southbank is cool to walk around, especially in the evenings
- Westend is the alternate hub of Brisbane, so many cafes and completely different businesses
- Morning and evening markets in many spots on the weekends, local artists, craft, produce.
- So much shopping, just about every big brand/label had a shop in the area.
- Great options for surf wear and summer wear (almost always summer in Brisbane)
- Excellent outdoor shopping, eg mountain climbing gear, bush walking, everything.